If you paid for your Publisher drop with Ethereum through your MetaMask and the payment fails even though you have enough funds it is often that the transaction is still pending.
Example of what the error may look like:
First, don’t panic. This is a common occurrence on Ethereum and is fixable.
The most common resolution involves sending a 0 ETH transaction with the same nonce (transaction number) to effectively replace the original transaction. This is also known as "speeding up" or "replacing" a transaction.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to do this:
- Open MetaMask: Click on the fox icon on your browser toolbar to open your MetaMask wallet.
- Look at your MetaMask transaction “Activity”, you should see something like this:
- If you hover over the red “Failed” text you should see the following error:
- Find Your Transaction Nonce:
- Click on the “failed” transaction for more details.
- Navigate to Etherscan by clicking "View on block explorer"
- Next click on the pending transaction's hash. Under "Status" you should see "Pending"
- Once there, scroll down and click "Click to see more details". Here, you'll see the transaction nonce, a unique number assigned to each transaction you make. Record the nonce, we'll need it later.
- Turn on “Customized transactions nonce”: Click on your profile icon on the top right -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Turn on “Customize Transaction nonce”
- Send a New Transaction: Return to the homepage of MetaMask and Click on "Send" to begin a new transaction.
- Enter Your Own Address: You'll be sending this transaction to yourself, so enter your own wallet address in the "Recipient" field.
- Set Transaction Amount to 0 ETH: Enter "0" in the "Amount" field.
- Enter the Same Nonce: In the "Advanced Options", input the nonce from the pending transaction that you want to cancel.
- Set a Higher Gas Price: To incentivize miners to pick up your new transaction, you'll need to set a higher gas price than the original one. Here you will want to refer back to your pending transaction on Etherscan.
Max base fee: Set this to at least 1.5x the current GWEI
Priority fee: Refer back to your previous transaction and set it to 1.5x the “Gas Price”
Gas limit: Often this is set to 21,000, to ensure your new transaction goes through set it 10-20% higher
- Review and Send: Double-check all of the transaction details, then click "Next" to review the transaction one last time. When you're ready, click "Confirm" to send the transaction.
- Confirm new transaction: Once the new transaction goes through if you view your old transaction hash it should look like this:
By using the same nonce and a higher gas price, you're essentially asking miners to ignore the first transaction and instead process this new one. Once the new transaction has been processed, the original one will be dropped from the network because two transactions can't have the same nonce.
Please note that while this method often works, it isn't foolproof. Some transactions might not be cancellable, particularly if they've already been processed by the network. Also, you should always be aware of the current gas fees, as they can be quite high, especially when the network is congested.
Often other remedies include resetting your MetaMask. Make sure before doing so you record your private key. But to reset your MetaMask log out and then log back in.